How to Stop Payment & Cancel Checks
Departments or vendors may request the cancellation of a check (check must be returned) or a stop payment of a check (physical check is not available). You may also request that a check be reissued at the time of the original stop payment or cancellation request.
Please follow the instructions listed below:
Cancel a Check
- The physical check must be returned in order for it to be cancelled.
- A check may be cancelled if it has not been cashed.
- If a check is more than 180 days past the check issue date, it may also be cancelled.
- Please indicate on the form if a reissued check is required.
- Mail the original check and the completed form (see "Request for Stop Payment/Cancellation of Vendor Check" to the contact indicated below).
Stop Payment of a Check
You may submit a stop payment request if you do not have a physical check and one of the three conditions listed apply:
- Check was lost.
- Vendor never received the check.
- Check has not been cashed for more than 180 days since the check issue date.
If you are requesting that a check be reissued with the stop payment, please be aware that a second check cannot be reissued until the bank provides confirmation of processing the original stop-payment request. Please allow four business days to reissue a stop-payment check. Mail or fax the completed form "Request for Stop Payment and Cancellation of Vendor Check" to the address or fax number listed below.
- Log on to BruinBuy, select "Queries" under the "Queries & Reports" Box.
- Go to Order Payment Summary (OPS).
- Enter the order number (PO number), press Submit.
- Select the listed Check NBR (check number).
- The cancel date confirms the stop payment has gone through.